Friday 15 October 2010

Kinda like Marmite


Town mouse or Country mouse? That was the question that sprang to mind when I overheard a conversation between my boys and their cousin (he is staying with us for a few days during the holidays). They were discussing the merits of being able to leave school at lunch time which their cousin can't do.
"We can do that because Moffat is such a small, safe place " my sons said. 
"Yeah, but Glasgow is more exciting" their cousin replied.

And there it is, the basic trade we make when choosing where to live. 

The view from my old studio, looking towards the Devils Beef Tub


Do you give up all night shopping and accept the fact that when you run out of milk after 10 p.m. you're just gonna have to drink your tea black until morning, that the midnight munchies need to be planned for in advance, that even if there were any shops open the chances of getting anything more exotic than soy sauce are slim? In return you get a corner shop whose staff can tell you what your boys bought on their street lunch day, a butcher that knows you (and your dog !) by name and will happily share cooking tips, and a shoe shop where she doesn't even need to ask 'What size'.    

The floor of the Annan Water valley

Do you give up night clubs, wine bars, restaurants with Michelin stars and make do with home cooked dinner parties? Do you miss out on premieres, plays and star performances choosing instead to support the local am. dram. society, never quite being able to look at your doctor or solicitor in quite the same light again. 
Can den building in the woods and dam building in the streams be as character building as having access to museums, galleries and libraries?

Riverside walk, Annan Water

I live in Moffat, a small town in south west Scotland (population about 2500). It's probably just like any number of other little towns across the length and breadth of the country. It's not perfect but for every fault it has there is an advantage, you just have to be in the right frame of mind to look for them. I suppose it just comes down to what kind of mouse you are.

At the top of 'The Tub'

So yes, small town living is a lot like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. Personally I love living in one, but then I'm quite partial to marmite..... and broccoli.... and a Brussels sprout or two!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more , they'll have to get me out of Moffat in a box !

Eryl said...

I am very fond of marmite, but do like it mixed with butter and very thinly spread. And, if I'm honest, I prefer lemon curd.

I am definitely a town mouse. If not a city rat.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Sadly am stuck in a big town next to an even bigger city.. moan moan. Are they your paintings?? They are lovely.

Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you in my latest blog post:
http://wp.me/p11YdZ-cJ

Do come round and play if you want to, but don't worry if not, I know some people don't do these blog games...

Linnhe Mara said...

Alexis, I know exactly how you feel

Eryl, I think your spread preference speaks volumes. You can put up with the acquired taste of country life, but only in small doses, but are much better suited to the refreshing zing and tartness of city life. Don't worry, your time will come.

VeryBerry, I take it from your moan that you would much rather be a country mouse? If you think getting ingredients for your recipes is difficult where you live just think that your task would be almost impossible if you lived somewhere smaller. It's all swings and roundabouts.
Yes they are my paintings by the way, thanks for your praise. And thanks for tagging me, I'll be responding soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...